JA Worldwide “I am JA” Alumni Video Star Contest Official Rules
The “I am JA” Alumni Video Star Contest Official Rules
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.
1. How to Enter: To enter the JA Worldwide “I am JA” Alumni Video Star Contest (“Contest”), create a video of your JA story; upload the video to YouTube, Vimeo, Instagram, or Dropbox; and complete the form at jaworldwide.org/IamJA. All entry information and ideas shall be collectively referred to herein as the “Submissions” or each as a “Submission.” Submissions must comply with the Guidelines and Restrictions defined below. JA Worldwide (“Sponsor”) reserves the right to cancel or modify this Contest in the event an insufficient number of entries are received that meet the minimum judging criteria. Limit one (1) Submission per person/per email address.
By entering, each entrant warrants and represents the following with respect to their Submission: (a) entrant is the sole and exclusive owner of the Submission; (b) the Submission is entrant’s own creation and is 100% original; (c) the Submission will not infringe on any rights of any third parties; and (d) any third parties appearing in the Submission have given entrant appropriate consent to be filmed and used as permitted herein. Sponsor reserves the right to request third party releases from any third party included in any Submission at any time. Failure to produce fully executed third party releases (if applicable) may result in disqualification of the Submission, in Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion.
Submission of Personal Data:
Providing a Submission constitutes entrant’s consent to grant Sponsor a nonexclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, non-revocable license to use your content in connection with the Contest, including, without limitation, the rights to distribute, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, reproduce, edit, translate and reformat your content and to publish your name in connection with your content. You acknowledge and agree that Sponsor may preserve your content and may also disclose your content if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such preservation or disclosure is reasonably necessary to: (a) comply with legal process; (b) enforce these terms; (c) respond to claims that any content violates the rights of third-parties; or (d) protect the rights, property, or personal safety of JA Worldwide, our agents and employees, our users, and the public. You understand that the technical processing and transmission of the website, including your content, may involve numerous transmissions over various networks and changes to conform and adapt to technical requirements of connecting networks or devices.
Special Admonitions for International Use:
Recognizing the global nature of the Internet, you agree to comply with all local rules regarding online contests or competitions and acceptable content. Specifically, you agree to comply with all applicable laws regarding the transmission of technical data exported from the United States or the country in which you reside.
All entrants must have a valid email address. No automated entry devices and/or programs permitted. All entries, including Submissions, become the sole and exclusive property of the Sponsor and receipt of entries will not be acknowledged or returned. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, illegible, stolen, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, postage-due, misdirected, technically corrupted or garbled entries, which will be disqualified, or for problems of any kind whether mechanical, human or electronic. Only fully completed entry forms are eligible. Proof of submission will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Sponsor.
2. Start/End Dates: Contest begins at 12:01 AM Eastern Time on January 15, 2019 and ends at 11:59:59 PM Eastern Time on April 15, 2019. No entries will be accepted after 11:59:59 PM Eastern Time on April 15, 2019.
3. Eligibility: Participation open only to individuals who have gone through at least one JA program. Void where prohibited. Employees, officers, and directors of Sponsor and its parent company, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, advertising and promotion agencies, manufacturers, or distributors of Contest materials and their immediate families (parents, children, siblings, spouse) or members of the same household (whether related or not) of such employees/officers/directors are not eligible to enter. All applicable laws and regulations apply.
4. Submission Guidelines and Content Restrictions: By entering, each entrant agrees that his or her Submission conforms to the Submission Guidelines and Content Restrictions as defined below (collectively, the “Guidelines and Restrictions”) and that Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may remove any Submission and disqualify an entrant from the Contest if it believes, in its sole discretion, that the entrant’s Submission fails to conform to the Guidelines and Restrictions.
Submission must be no longer than one minute.
Submission must be presented in English or, if not in English, use English subtitles. If you do not make your submission in English, you must be able to make an on-stage pitch in English at the JA Global Alumni Conference 2019 if selected as a Contest finalist.
Submission must be recorded in landscape format.
Submission must answer at least two of the following questions:
Why did you take part in a JA program? Did a teacher recommend it? Was a friend in it?
What project did you work on or what company did you start?
What project did you work on or what company did you start?
What are your strongest memories of JA?
What have you achieved since your time with JA and what are you doing now in your professional life?
What has JA meant in your life and to your community? Is there a connection between what you learned in JA and the direction your life took?
Submission must end with “I am [first and last name], and I am JA.”
Submission must be uploaded to YouTube, Vimeo, Instagram, or Dropbox, with the URL entered on the entry form at jaworldwide.org/IamJA.
Only individual Submissions will be accepted.
The Submission must not contain material that violates or infringes any rights of any other party, including but not limited to copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity or any other intellectual property rights;
The Submission must not in any way disparage Sponsor or any other person or party;
The Submission must not contain material that is inappropriate, indecent, obscene hateful, tortious, defamatory, slanderous or libelous;
The Submission must not contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; and
The Submission must not contain material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations of the United States or of any jurisdiction where Submission is created.
The Submission cannot promote illegal drugs or firearms (or the use of any of the foregoing), or any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous, or any particular political agenda or message; and
The Submission must be consistent with the image and values of Sponsor and be consistent with and satisfy the purpose of the Contest.
Each entrant acknowledges that other entrants may have used ideas and/or concepts in their Submission that may be similar in idea or concept to what is included in entrant’s Submission. Each entrant understands and agrees that he/she shall not have any claim against any other entrant or Sponsor arising out of any such similarity or be entitled to any compensation because of any such similarity.
Sponsor’s decisions are final and binding in all matters relating to this Contest, including, but not limited to, interpretation and application of these Official Rules. By entering the Contest, entrants fully and unconditionally agree to be bound by these rules and the decisions of the judges, which will be final and binding in all matters relating to the Contest.
5. Judging/Judging Criteria: Sponsor reserves the right, in their sole and absolute discretion, to disqualify any Submissions that are inappropriate for any reason, including without limitation, for depicting or mentioning sex, violence, drugs, alcohol and/or inappropriate language. The top ten Submissions will be selected by April 30, 2019, based on the following criteria:
Did you meet the requirements?
Did you use your 60 seconds well by organizing your ideas, writing a short script, and practicing before you record the final version?
Did you connect your story with your community?
Did you tell your story in a creative and unique way?
The top ten videos will be presented for public online voting from May 1, 2019, to June 15, 2019. The top three vote-getters will travel to the JA Global Alumni Conference 2019, with the winner announced at the conference Gala Dinner.
By entering the Contest, entrants fully and unconditionally agree to be bound by these rules and the decisions of the judges, which will be final and binding in all matters relating to the Contest.
6. Prizes: Three (3) entrants will win a trip to the JA Global Alumni Conference in Vienna, Austria (August 28–September 1, 2019). The trip includes transportation, lodging, and meals for each entrant selected. No substitutions or cash redemptions.
7. Notification: Winner will be notified by email and may be required to sign and return, where legal, an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Release within five (5) days of prize notification. If any winner is considered a minor in his/her jurisdiction of residence, Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity must be signed by his/her parent or legal guardian. If the winner cannot be contacted within five (5) calendar days of first notification attempt, if any prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, if the winner rejects his/her prize or in the event of noncompliance with these Contest rules and requirements, such prize will be forfeited and may be awarded to the Submission with the next highest score. Upon prize forfeiture, no compensation will be given.
8. Conditions: Submissions may be cut, edited, reformatted, rearranged, combined with other materials and/or otherwise modified, in Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion. Any and all applicable taxes are the sole responsibility of the winners. Participation in Contest and/or acceptance of prize constitutes each winner’s permission for Sponsor to use his/her name, address (city and state), likeness, photograph, picture, portrait, voice, biographical information, Submission and/or any statements made by each winner regarding the Contest or Sponsor for advertising and promotional purposes without notice or additional compensation, except where prohibited by law. By participating, entrants and winners agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor and its advertising and promotion agencies and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors, from any and all liability, for loss, harm, damage, injury, cost or expense whatsoever including without limitation, property damage, personal injury and/or death which may occur in connection with, preparation for, travel to, or participation in Contest, or possession, acceptance and/or use or misuse of prize or participation in any Contest-related activity and for any claims based on publicity rights, defamation, invasion of privacy, copyright infringement, trademark infringement or any other intellectual property-related cause of action. Entrants who do not comply with these official rules or who attempt to interfere with this Contest in any way shall be disqualified. Sponsor is not responsible if Contest cannot take place or if prize cannot be awarded due to travel cancellations, delays or interruptions due to acts of God, acts of war, natural disasters, weather or acts of terrorism.
9. Additional Terms: Any attempted form of entry other than as set forth in Section 1 above is prohibited; no automatic, programmed; robotic or similar means of entry are permitted. Sponsor, its affiliates, partners and promotion and advertising agencies are not responsible for technical, hardware, software, telephone or other communications malfunctions, errors or failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, website, Internet, or ISP availability, unauthorized human intervention, traffic congestion, incomplete or inaccurate capture of entry information (regardless of cause) or failed, incomplete, garbled, jumbled or delayed computer transmissions which may limit one’s ability to enter the Contest, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer relating to or resulting from participating in this Contest or downloading any materials in this Contest. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, extend or suspend this Contest should (in its sole discretion) virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, fraud or other causes beyond its control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the Contest. In such case, Sponsor will select the winners from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds, in its sole discretion, to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or website. Sponsor may prohibit an entrant from participating in the Contest or winning a prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines that said entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, hacking, deception, or other unfair playing practices (including the use of automated quick entry programs) or intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other entrants or Sponsor representatives.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
In the event of a dispute as to any Submission, the authorized account holder of the email address used to register will be deemed to be the entrant and must comply with these Official Rules. The "authorized account holder" is the natural person assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address. Each entrant may be required to show proof of being an authorized account holder.
A. Agreement to Conduct Transactions Electronically. You agree that all transactions regarding the Contest may, at our option, be conducted electronically from start to finish. If Sponsor decides to proceed non-electronically, those transactions will still be governed by the remainder of these terms unless you enter into different terms on a form provided by Sponsor. If the law allows you to withdraw this consent or if Sponsor is ever required to deal with you non-electronically, Sponsor reserves the right to charge or increase fees and you agree to print or make an electronic copy of the terms and any other contract or disclosure that Sponsor is required to provide to you.
B. Compliance with Laws. You are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws, keeping in mind that contests of this nature by certain persons or in certain countries may not be legal.
C. No Agency; No Third-Party Beneficiary. No agency, partnership, joint venture, employee-employer, lessor-lessee, or franchisor-franchisee relationship is intended or created by these terms. Neither you nor Sponsor intends that any third-party will be a beneficiary of or entitled to rely on any part of these terms.
D. Severance. If any part of the terms is held by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid or unenforceable, the invalid or unenforceable part will be given effect to the greatest extent possible and the remainder will remain in full force and effect, provided that the allocation of risks described herein is given effect to the fullest extent possible.
E. No Assignment. These terms are personal to you and you may not transfer, assign, or delegate these terms to anyone without our express written permission. Any attempt by you to assign, transfer, or delegate these terms without our express written permission will be null and void. Sponsor shall have the right to transfer, assign, and/or delegate these terms to one or more third-parties without your permission.
F. Jurisdiction; Choice of Law; Export Limitations. The website is controlled and operated by Sponsor from offices within the United States of America. You are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export anything from the website in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations, other applicable laws or regulations, or the terms. These terms and all performances and claims of every nature (including without limitation, contract, tort, and strict liability) relating in any way to any aspect of the website will be governed by the laws of the state of Delaware, USA, without regard to any conflicts of laws principles that would result in the application of the law of a different jurisdiction. You agree to submit to the personal and exclusive jurisdiction of the courts located within the state of Delaware, USA.
G. Limitations on Actions. Any action concerning any dispute You may have with respect to the website must be commenced within one year after the dispute arises, or the cause of action is barred.
H. Paragraph Headings. The paragraph headings in these terms are included to help make these terms easier to read and have no binding effect.
J. No Waiver. Our failure to exercise or enforce any right or provision of these terms, including any failure to act with respect to a breach, will not constitute a waiver of such right or provision or our right to act with respect to subsequent or similar breaches. Sponsor suggests that you print out a copy of these terms for your records.
10. Limitation of Liability; Disclaimer of Warranties: IN NO EVENT WILL THE RELEASED ENTITIES BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE SERVICE AND/OR THE CONTEST, DOWNLOADING FROM AND/OR PRINTING MATERIAL DOWNLOADED FROM ANY WEBSITES ASSOCIATES WITH THE CONTEST. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, THIS CONTEST AND ALL PRIZES ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS FOR ANY RESTRICTIONS OR LIMITATIONS REGARDING THESE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS.